Friday, November 20, 2015

ONE lesson I learn from CHC Saga

What is the lesson you learn from following a 5 1/2 years saga of City Harvest Church?

I am not here to judge or to pass judgement. I am not fit to do that. But five and half years long of court drama is hard to miss by our attention, isn't it? It certainly would pique one's interest in one way or another. It is pointless to pass judgement on who's right or who's wrong. In any case, the court has passed the judgement. 

Photo source: Channel News Asia

For me, I find the whole sage really interesting and my over-analytical mind never fails to want to analyze the situation.

What is the 1 (ONE) lesson do you think we can learn from this whole painful episode besides
"Don't be a finance manager of a non-profit organization! It is very high-risk".
Sometimes finance manager doesn't necessarily know all the things that are happening in the organization. In fact sometimes finance manager is the last person to know (sad!). Sometimes the CEO, CFO, COO can hide things from the managers, but in this case, the finance managers of CHC are still implicated. Really "soey" (unlucky)... dunno what else to say about the 2 beautiful finance managers except that I feel really sorry for them. Salary also not so high (compared to the "CEO"), now end up have to sit in jail... I remember reading that one of the finance managers said that she did not see anything wrong with the whole financial transactions and arrangements! If she is telling the truth, then it just shows that she is not really that qualified an accountant. And I won't be surprised as hardly any qualified accountant would want to join a non-profit organization.

Apart from the financial issue, ONE Thing I think I learn is that we should learn to be REASONABLE and MODERATE and NOT go to the EXTREME.

I am not sure if you notice, but a lot of problems are created when one is Being EXTREME in their view. Usually when one is being extremist, he doesn't even realize it himself or will deny it. All he can see is usually just his own point of view.

How then can we avoid falling into an extreme situation?

One way is to always have HUMILITY, to accept that we are only human and no human-being is perfect. Therefore we need to be Open and be Willing to Listen to other people's view and opinion.